Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Being a student again

I really contemplated whether I would create this entry as this event happened just about a week ago. When I told the story, Mr. Sparrgrove said I should definitely blog about it. So here it goes......
Last week when I was in class we were looking over our exam that had just been handed back to us. At one point during the process I asked my neighbor a question about the correlation problem and linear regression which she kindly indulged me and answered my question. Albeit, we were having a side bar conversation but for one of the few times in my academic career it was actually about the test material. It went down hill from there. We were quickly called out by the teacher and asked to stop and were told that we were distracting and that our talking was annoying. Wow did I feel horrible and what could I say? The old excuse of "I was talking about the test" was not going to work so all I could do was say "sorry" and focus on my paper. It was very embarrassing I must admit. So why put this on my blog? Because I think it is important for us to realize that our students go through this from time to time encountering uncomfortable situations, but without the understanding that I have that it could be distracting and the skills with how to cope. As the adults in our students lives, it is important for us to realize that they react to us and how we handle ourselves and we must always be cognizant of that. I laugh with my brothers and sisters about the kids in our families and how they are just smaller versions of us and they act just like us. After all, kids learn things from their surroundings and the people in their lives.